Saturday, January 26, 2008

Drunks Go Green?

I have been forced to stare my own blatant bigotry in the eye.
Never one to shy away from unfortunate stereotypes and sweeping generalizations, I had come to the conclusion that beer drinkers do not recycle. This is because, in hundreds of Saturday morning trips to the recycling center, rarely have I seen beer cans in the aluminum recycling bin. I was blind, but now I see. Here is the evidence. Among the caffeine free soft drink cans, there it is: The King Of Beers. Like a nugget in the mine, it's hard to find and rare. But, it's there in plain sight. My only hope is that the beer drinker was a guest of the recycler. Otherwise, I will be forced to rethink my assumptions.
We are told curbside recycling is on the way. Until then, I will continue to separate my refuse into newspapers, assorted slick paper, office paper, steel cans, aluminum cans, clear plastic, cloudy plastic and corrugated cardboard. I will load up the Trail Blazer and haul all of it across town every other Saturday, and I will be happy about it.
Then, maybe I'll have a beer to reward myself. Cheers!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: