Saturday, May 24, 2008

Holiday Weekend Random Thoughts


Memorial Day Service
Originally uploaded by Darrell
I have a buddy who owns a business which employs a lot of people who don't have a high level of education. Some of the men asked him if they would have Memorial Day off. He said, "The first person who can tell me what Memorial Day is about will get the day off with pay." No one got it right.
Men and women have died in service to their country to protect the American right to be an idiot. We honor the sacrifices they made, because even those who don't appreciate them should live a life of freedom.
It's been a busy week. Our son graduated from high school and our daughter wrapped up her sophomore year. Things seemed especially hectic at work for both my wife and me.
Since we live in the same place and work in the same place, we have started riding to work together. This does not cut our gasoline consumption in half, but it makes a dent in it. We are running four automobiles at this house, and the expense is becoming oppressive.
More than 5000 people work where we do and a lot more of them are using public transportation lately. There's a bus stop right at the main entrance to our place and I'm seeing starched shirt-and-tie types getting off the bus in the morning and on it again in the evening.
I might consider it, but I don't live anywhere near the bus route. Someone should talk to City Hall about initiating Park and Ride in this part of town.

It's a three-day weekend for us and we're not going anywhere. Our daughter will hop on a bus for Colorado, though.

Finally, Ahab had his white whale. I had my bunny. A rabbit lives in our back yard, to the endless frustration and amusement of our dog. I haven't been able to get a decent photo of the elusive bunny. Friday night, I got it.
Of course, that tells you a little something about how exciting my Friday nights are.
As for the dog, she hasn't been able to get near the rabbit yet. I'm not sure what she would do with it if she caught it. I think she might have given up. You could say she saw the light.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: