Thursday, June 19, 2008

Unpleasant Business


Dear Ol' Dad
Originally uploaded by Darrell
I went with my father to an estate planning meeting. That's a strange conversation, something like "When you die, if things are still the same, I will be hit with an enormous tax bill."
I feel all smarmy just typing it. He was cool about it, though. The way he sees it, he has worked hard to accumulate some assets to pass on, so we need to make sure they get handled properly.
Stange, it seems more awkward to discuss assisted living options than those surrounding death. I guess it's because coming to grips with the idea of not being able to care for yourself may actually be more unpleasant than the idea of dying.
He's getting organized (getting his affairs in order?). I know once we figure it all out, we will be well served for having done it. I also know, based on recent experience, that we aren't promised tomorrow. I guess we have to plan for it, anyway, no matter how unpleasant it might be.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: