Thursday, June 05, 2008

Some Things, We're Better Off Not Knowing


B-52
Originally uploaded by Darrell
B-52's are a part of daily life around here. The giant bombers fly over our heads many times a day with barely a second glance, sometimes with no notice at all. They literally come with the territory when there's a major Air Force command in the heart of the city.
The fact that nuclear warheads were flown from North Dakota to north Louisiana last summer without anybody really knowing about it is one of the scariest things I've ever heard about. In fact, I kind of wish I hadn't heard about it, because there's nothing I can do.
The Air Force has taken action, though. The top military and civilian leaders have beeen forced to resign. Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley and Secretary Michael W. Wynne are out as a direct result of what happened. I suppose that's an understandable consequence of such a world-class oversight, but I wonder if it really means anything.
How often do mind-numbing mistakes like this happen? We'll never know and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: