Thursday, August 30, 2007

Marooned in Mississippi

(Starkville, MS) - The LSU Tigers open the 2007 season on national TV on a Thursday. Rather than do the sane thing and watch it from home in high definition television, I got an early start on Labor Day and headed for northern Mississippi, which is awash in maroon, the offical color of Mississippi State University. Of course I didn't check the weather forecast, and of course I've had to run for cover to avoid being killed by pesky cloud to ground lightning during a preposetrous summer thunderstorm.
As has become my tradition on these little football roadies, I look for a legendary local restaurant. In Starkville, it's Little Dooey's, which was invaded at mid-day by people bedecked in purple and gold. A surprsing number of folks from home found their way to Dooey's, including my old running buddy Tim Fletcher, who is here to cover the game for KTBS Television. We ate lunch together, and I have to say Dooey's lives up to its billing. The barbecue is outstanding and the setting is memorable. In fact, ESPN radio was setting up to do a radio show from there. A national TV game gets a lot of attention.
Afterward,I took a moment or two to rock on Dooey's front porch, then rode back to the stadium with some Shreveport fans. Now, I'll sweat out the storm and hope the Tigers roar to victory in their first game.
I have to work tomorrow. So, it might be a long, bumpy night.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww, Fletch and Darrell together again...reminds me of the good ole days of the Sports radio show, sniff, sniff. Hope y'all had a nice lunch!