Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Long Way Home

(Destrehan, LA)- The high school football playoffs have brought me to this New Orleans suburb for another TV assignment. It's strange, because I seem to do more sportscasting than I was doing when I was working full time as a sportscaster. I had the opportunity to watch the top-ranked team in the state, the Destrehan Wildcats. Two of their offensive stars have commited to play college football at LSU, so maybe we have seen the Tigers' future. Destrehan won easily, 42-14.
Getting here was an adventure. The main east-west thoroughfare in south Louisiana, Interstate 10, is closed between Lafayette and Baton Rouge because of a gas well explosion.It will, in fact, be shut down all weekend, we are told by the state police. So, I drove through parts of the state I have not previously visited. The good news is, I got nice food on this trip...south Louisiana stuff: excellent gumbo and jambalaya. I refused to stop at a chain burger joint. Nice payoff.
The bad news is, I have to take the same circuitous route home. I was orginally planning to attend the LSU-Ole Miss game on Saturday, but I'm aching to get back to the house. I'll watch it on TV and hope it's not much of a game so I won't regret my decision.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: