Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Close Shave. Definitely.

This is yesterday's news. I mean, even Keith Olbermann made a big thing out of it; but I have perspective on it. The softball media guide at the College of Southern Idaho has stirred conversation, controversy, titillation and a little faux outrage for its "this and that" section of selected players' profiles. Along with asking them if they pefer coffee or hot chocolate, mountains or beaches, Coke or Pepsi, that kind of thing; some players are asked to choose shaven or unshaven. You can see it for yourself here.
I did an informal poll of people I know, most of them women or girls. The question: "What are they referring to there?" The response was unanimous. One woman phoned into a local radio show to ask what all the fuss was about. She thinks they're referring to men's faces. No one is that naive, do you think?
Where I work, this topic, in a broader sense, has been a discussed most recently.
It all started when Britney Spears shaved her head. This happened in the wake of widespread dissemination of photos showing that she is "shaven" elsewhere. This naturally led to millions of peole making the same joke: "Why did Britney Spears shave her head?" "So the drapes would match the carpet."
I happen to know several gynecologists, and they are consistent in their observations. These days, they are seeing lots of tattoos in the area in question and almost no hair. How and when did this happen? How does this (what is it, a fashion trend?) achieve widespread conformity among young women? Is it an internet phenomenon?
I don't have any answers, but I am left with many lingering questions. For instance, what was the sports information department at Southern Idaho thinking? What were the girls thinking?
I'm stopping right here. This is a family-friendly blog. For now, this is about as far as I'm willing to go.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: