Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Confusing Hotel Matters

Over the last few years, I seem to have developed a loyalty to Hilton Hotel properties. I keep coming back, so I must be happy. I know exactly what I can count on at a Hampton Inn, for instance.
There are two things which confuse me, but they're not important enough for me to ask about them. I think I would get blank stares from the help if I did.
Number one: at Hamptons and other "lesser" properties, internet access is free. But, at the hotel like the one we're enjoying in Nashville and other "higher end" facilities in the chain in which I've stayed recently, internet access is ten bucks a day. That makes no sense to me.
Here's the one that gets me, though. I've recently stayed in "nice" Hilton properties in places like Austin, Lexington, Birmingham and Nashville. They've put these state of the art, flat-screen televisions in the rooms. They're BIG TV's, and they're High Defintion capable, obviously. But, in the rooms, standard definition. What's the point?
That's all.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too share your confusion re: free 'net access at 2 or 3 stars and paying for it at 3.5 stars or better. Logic could be that folks staying at better digs may be more business-like and use 'net for biz-use which means they have a travel expense account for such things...so gig 'em since it's not coming out of their pocket, so-to-speak. Just a guess on my part.

As for "brand name establishments"...you have to take that with a grain of salt. Hilton hotels may be in "name only" and their management team may or may not be a Hilton group team. So there can be a considerable variable between a Hilton in Dallas opposed to a Hilton in Memphis...New York... or (ahem) even Shreveport.

I stayed at a Wyndham Hotel not long ago because I was a member of their Preferred Guest program and over the years I've enjoyed staying at their properties. Well this time was a real disappointment ( I'll spare you the details... except to say that my room and adjoining hallway smelled and looked like the aftermath of a crimescene). Front Desk acted indifferent and said they were full-up for the night so chaning room wasn't an option. Later, I wrote a letter to their VP of Customer Relations only to receive a short reply that "....not all our properties are managed by Wyndham Corporate..." (True Story) so I "dis-enrolled" from the Preferred Customer program.

For my money...you really can't beat Priceline or (in some cases) Hotwire. I've saved tons through the years and by doing a little pre-travel research, I can almost get what I want 7 out of 10 times at 50% or less. Just got back from Dallas and paid $36 a night for Addison Holiday Inn (3 Star) and can't beat that with a stick at all!!