Monday, December 29, 2008

32 of 33's not Bad


At the Independence Bowl
Originally uploaded by Darrell
We made it to the Independence Bowl, and it was a pretty entertaining ball game. Louisiana Tech outlasted Northern Illinois, 17-10. It wasn't a dream matchup, in fact far from it, but it got the job done.
I went to my first Independence Bowl in 1976, when I worked as an usher as part of my school's commitment to community service.
I've been to every one, except the 1984 game. I had traveled to Charleston, SC to cover a Louisiana Tech football game that day. So, there's a nice little bow to tie things up, wouldn't you say? In 1984, I did drive past the stadium during the 3rd quarter on my way home from the airport. So, I can say I have personally witnessed at least part of every Independence Bowl.
It's much more fun to be a spectator than to cover it, although this year might have been a little different because a local team was in it. There seems to be more pressure when big-name schools from power conferences come to town.
It was a rather unremarkable day, although the people around us were consistently entertaining.
I plan to see number 34 next year.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: