Friday, December 28, 2007

The Happy Couple Is Sort of Legal

The lovely young woman who seems so thoughtful here can no longer legitimately be called a girl. The Good Half of the Happy Couple has turned 18. We are not sure what this means, except that it was a cause for celebration and an excuse to be ambiguous about what time the Other Half would be home last night. Whenever it was, I slept through it; so I suppose it doesn't matter.
His ascendency to adulthood is less than two months away. His grandfather says he can see him transforming into a man. I guess the vision that comes with age has something to do with that. As for me, I just have trouble seeing past the haircut.
All kidding aside, it is a little disconcerting to think that in about six weeks, they could run off, get married, or basically do whatever they want and we really don't have a lot to say about it. We still have influence. We still have power. After all, we control the money, the food, the shelter and the car. Surely they wouldn't be short-sighted enough to do something irresponsible and impulsive. I guess it comes down to this: once he turns 18, we have a say but we don't have a vote.
My best friend's kids are eleven, nine and four. He and his wife are extremely busy. It seems like a heartbeat ago that my kids were that size, all cute and thinking Mom and Dad have all the answers.I blinked and wound up here, where I apparently know very little about my children's moment-to-moment activities. That's the way it's supposed to be, I think.
Oh, that thing about having a say and not having a vote. The opposite is true for the Happy Couple and others like them. They will have the right to vote in the next presidential election.
I can think of one more circumstance which puts this all in perspective. Someone I worked with recently had this observation: "Now, we are actually hiring people who were born in the 90's." Let the transformation continue.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: