Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Return From Exile


Three Amigos
Originally uploaded by Darrell
For many years, the dog on the left was a part of our daily lives. As you likely can infer from the photo, she was fully assimilated into the family dynamic.
Sadly, a series of canine misdeeds led to her banishment from the family home. Simply put, she was no longer welcome in the neighborhood. Her objectionable behavior overrode her lovable qualities. My affection for her never waned, however. We were able to convince a family member to take over her daily care and feeding while we maintained responsbility for her veterinary care.
We're not sure how old she is, but we have known her for twelve years and that's a long time in dog years. She's geriatirc and the light is fading from her eyes. Her custodian has had a difficult time providing sufficient attention in her declining years, so we have brought her home to live out her last days.
The mischievous energy which led to her exile is gone and she seems scared and needy. It's like the first time I saw her. She had been hit by a car and I rescued her from certain death on the street. The look in her tiny brown eyes that day is seared into my memory. It breaks my heart to see her in decline, but I'm glad she's home. I hope she behaves herself so she can stick around. Maybe she has some quality days left.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: