Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm Ready For My Close-up, But Not The Cold


Estes Stadium
Originally uploaded by Darrell
(Conway, AR) – The winding road of the Independent Broadcast Professional takes me to Central Arkansas University, where the football team played host to the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks. It’s back on the sidelines for the Southland Conference Television Network. Darrell at Estes Stadium The life of the sideline reporter has its ups and downs. The job takes less preparation than does play-by-play. You need to know interesting stories about the teams, the players and maybe the facility. Mostly, though, you make a cameo appearance at the top of the broadcast, host halftime and interview the coaches as they leave or enter the locker room, as well as immediately following the game.Halftime interview In between, you try to get the producer’s attention with your pithy observations or insightful comments. While the pampered play-by-play and color commentators sit in the cozy press box and have their minions bring them refreshments and salient statistics, the intrepid sideline reporter is relegated to relative obscurity while being openly exposed to the elements.
Conway is the northernmost outpost of the SLC and we felt it. Gone were our snazzy little network polo shirts which we jauntily donned in the hot part of the football season. As temperatures plummeted into the 40’s, I became acutely aware that I had dressed comfortably in layers from the waist up while utterly neglecting my lower extremities.
Fortunately, there wasn’t much of a breeze so the misery index stayed relatively low.Cold Camera The crew was alert enough to bundle up and even wear gloves, but the idiot on-air “talent” on the field with them planned his wardrobe with appearance in mind and not comfort.Scott on the sidelines Style over substance: it’s the TV way.
The game was a great one to broadcast. There were lead changes, dramatic comebacks and a game-winning field goal as time expired.
I get called for spot duty with this crew, filling in when the regular guy can’t make it. It’s something I look forward to. I get just enough work to scratch my broadcasting itch. In this conference, the coaches and players generally are thrilled to be on TV. Most importantly, the ladies and gentlemen in the crew are exceedingly nice and fun to work with. They always make me feel welcome.
It’s a positive experience all around. It will be even better next time, I’m sure, as long as I’m alert enough to dress appropriately for the weather.

-----
And since this was my first trip to UCA, that meant a chance for a photo with a new mascot!Darrell and the bear

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Chuckles said...

Kind of reminds me of early days of Indy Bowl for the MizLou Network. I think I got paid $35 as a sideline-camera cable P/A flunky. Wet & cold and maybe there were 3000 people in the stands?