Saturday, September 17, 2011

Clear Eyes and a Clear Head at Last

Finally, I'm feeling almost normal for the first time in 48 hours. It's my own fault because I couldn't resist the allure of a midweek college football road trip with my buddies. On an otherwise normal Thursday morning, we rolled out of Shreveport and drove wide-eyed to the east to watch LSU play a prime time TV game against Mississippi State in Starkville.






The game was fantastic. LSU dominated defensively and won, which was impressive considering they were on the road in a deafening hostile atmosphere against another nationally-ranked team.



We enjoyed the game and had a lot of fun on the road, telling the old stories and providing fodder for new ones.



Remember, it was Thursday. I didn't want to burn two vacation days; plus my friends work in local sports media and they had to be back for Friday Night Football. So, we drove back through the night. I had the first shift. All I seem to recall from the drive home is an endless ribbon of inky black highway striping relentlessly through Nowhere, Mississippi. At 2:00 a.m., I was essentially alone with one traveling companion snoring and the other contentedly drooling on a pillow while he leaned against a car window. That's when I began to question the sanity of my plan.

I turned driving duties over to Drooler shortly after that and caught a couple of hours' shuteye in the car. I walked into my house at 6:40 a.m., shaved, showered, put on a suit and went to work. Company policy forbids me from blogging about activities there, but I guess I can say I had a couple of important meetings I didn't want to miss. I made it through; and a couple of colleagues who knew I had gone to the game were giving me awestruck attaboys for even being there.



I'll tell ya, though; by the time I wrapped up my Friday Night Scoreboard show on the radio at 11:00 p.m., I was a worn-out human. Now that I've had a full night's sleep, I declare the trip was worth the trouble. In fact, I may just jump in the shower and go to another game tonight. I have tickets; I might as well use them. I'll sleep in January.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: