Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Thoughts on Saban

This is really random. An 8th-grader of my acquaintance recently had a writing assignment. She chose Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban as her topic. Saban used to coach football at LSU, so she thought I might help with some insight. Here's the interview:

1. Have you ever met Nick Saban?

I have met Coach Saban on many occasions; first, when he was coaching the football team at Michigan State, and they played against LSU in the Independence Bowl. When I worked as a sportscaster, I covered LSU football regularly. So, I would have the opportunity to speak with him after every home game. Additionally, I covered several bowl games in which LSU was involved, and I had the opportunity to speak to the coach during those times, as well. As the head coach at LSU, he visited north Louisiana quite often on recruiting trips, as well as for alumni functions. So, we become well acquainted. I remember well a time when I was offerend an opportunity to be an honorary coach during LSU’s spring football game. I got a behind-the-scenes look at how he operates.

2. Do you like the way he coaches?

I don’t think you can argue with his success. A national championship at the college level is the best he could possibly do. He’s an effective recruiter and a skilled football tactician. He also surrounds himself with outstanding assistant coaches. Based on the Miami Dolphins’ trend during the second half of the most recent NFL season, it would appear he has nis new team on the right track, as well.

3. How do you feel about him leaving LSU?

As a fan, I was disappointed to see him go. He coached the team to its only national championship in my lifetime. So, certainly I, along with many others, was hoping he would stay a few more years.

4. Do you think he made the right decision to coach professional football?

He achieved the highest level of success at the college level. As a highly-motivated achiever, it is not at all surprising that he accepted the opportunity and the challenge to coach in the NFL. Only time will tell if the decision was “right” for him and his career.

5. Do you think Nick Saban's coaching style suits college or proffessional football better

From what I’ve observed, his style of managing players seems to suit professionals better. As far as game management and success on the field, that remains to be seen. While I haven’t seen him operating up close in the NFL environment, I have had the opportunity to closely watch him at the college level. My gut reaction is that older players (who are being paid to be there and therefore have a different level of commitment) will respond well to his style of motiviation.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: