Thursday, February 16, 2006

Confessions of a TV Viewer

The winter Olympics are in full swing, and I'm having a difficult time finding a reason to care. Apparently, I am not alone. According to the Associated Press, "American Idol" easily outpaced the Olympics in U.S. TV ratings. The wire service reported "Fox’s phenomenally successful contest crushed the Olympics in head-to-head competition on Tuesday night, 27 million viewers to 16.1 million, according to Nielsen Media Research." Tuesday night's show had significantly less substance to it than Wednesdays, to boot.
Uh-oh. I just tipped my hand. Yes, I watch American Idol. I watched it Tuesday. I watched it Wednesday. I've watched every second of it so far this season.
I'm not as pathetic as I may seem based on that admission. My TiVo helps a lot. I watch the show when it's convenient for my family. That's the key right there. For the first time since my kids were into "Barney," there's a show everyone will sit down and watch together. When you have teenagers, togetherness is hard to achieve. you take what you can get when you can force the action.
I'm not sure I'm a disciminating television viewer. I can say with complete candor that I was one of the first perople to call attention to a little show called "Seinfeld." I have witnesses. Of course, I also thought the next big hit would be "My So-Called Life," and it lasted less than half a season.
My friend Andrew loves his Arrested Development, but I've never seen an episode. There's some hope that another netowrk or a cable outfit will pick it up. I'm rooting for it because it gives Andrew so much pleaure.
What are the shows I will not miss? I've abandoned The West Wing. When Josh left the White House and the emphasis shifted away from the presidency and onto the campaign, I just lost interest. Plus, the McKenzie Allen administration over on ABC provided some kind of natural transition. I'll watch "Commander in Chief" if it's on (yes, my TiVo gets it), but I won't plan an evening around it. I'm certainly not as devoted to it as I was to The West Wing. I've also abandoned ER. My affair with the Desperate Housewives is over and done. I've really been captured by Grey's Anatomy, for some reason. (It's because I can't take my eyes off Izzy. That's why). But, far and away...the show I'm devoted to: BattleStar Galactica. I'm still hanging around the "Lost" island, too. And the last show on my high pririority list: Boston Legal.
We're TiVo-heads at our house. We have two. What shows get a season pass? Let's go from memory, which will say something about my priorities. BG and BL, of course. Idol, House, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld (still), The Dog Whisperer, Law & Order SVU, CSI: Miami, Cold Case, 60 Minutes, Meet the Press, Face the Nation, anything LSU sports, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Lost, DH is still on there because the Mrs. watches, Commander in Chief is there, The Andy Griffith Show, Las Vegas, Letterman, SNL, Alias, and Grey's Anatomy.
That's a lot of TV shows, and it doesn't include my actor wishlists. I'm not saying I watch them all, but TiVo records them all. If I had to pare it down to two shows, I've decided which two it would be: BattleStar and Boston Legal.
Shows I've tried, but can't like: The Office, Everybody Loves Raymond, and (shocking, yes.....24). My friend Donna will not miss 24, and she doesn't have a TiVo. Of course, I didn't get into NYPD Blue until it was re-running on cable. Then, I would record it every day and watch it like a soap opera. I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to do with 24 some day. I keep saying I'm going to take time off and have a one-man TiVo/ DVD festival, but I doubt that will happen. I'll be content with Commander Adama and Denny Crane for now.

Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

Workman said...

As a man who worked in TV news for so long, I must say I'm surprised The Daily Show isn't on your list. It's the best written comedy on TV right now, and actually more informative than many 30 minute newscasts.

Also, the next time BBC America reruns the British version of The Office, check it out. IT is excellent.

Anonymous said...

When you were in tv, didn't you find that the public thought you watched a lot of tv? I'll bet you didn't--and neither did/do I. However, Grey's Anatomy is an excellent show. The acting is not all that great, but the producer's combine very good writing with very good photography/editing, and good use of music. If Izzy would just get that one tooth fixed!

Anonymous said...

When you were in tv, didn't you find that the public thought you watched a lot of tv? I'll bet you didn't--and neither did/do I. However, Grey's Anatomy is an excellent show. The acting is not all that great, but the producer's combine very good writing with very good photography/editing, and good use of music. If Izzy would just get that one tooth fixed!

Anonymous said...

You really should give The Office another shot. I have the first season on DVD if you're interested in seeing it. With the obvious exception of Seinfeld, it is my all-time favorite tv comedy. I hear the British version is somewhat superior to that of the one done on this side of 'the pond', but I definitely enjoy Steve Carell's comedic portrayal of the obnoxious, annoying boss with far too much power than he deserves. Give it another look, and let me know if you want to borrow the first season to help into The Office groove.