Monday, February 27, 2006

Bobby Bouche Lives, Doggone It

Adam Sandler is one of the worst things that ever happened to me. Sandler's a funny guy, and I miss him on Saturday Night Live. I could do without "The Waterboy," however.
Why is this coming up now? Because somebody I admire and respect immensely just saw the movie over the weekend. Sandler plays a thirty-something Cajun simpleton, Bobby Bouche, who is a water boy for a fictional south Louisiana college football team. He longs for one particular girl. He improbably makes the football team. All the while, his preposterously overbearing mother lords over him like a swamp mist. This film's outrageous portrayal of the lifestyle of "my people" is hysterically funny once you get past all the stereotypes. Of course, the fact that most of America doesn't have any stereotypical notions of Cajuns is a factor in all of this. Maybe it hits a little too close to home.
None of that is relevant, though. What matters is: With the name Darrell Rebouche, you can imagine I have endured my share of Bobby Bouche jokes. There are still plenty of people who still call me "Booshay," particularly in the sports culture.
Since this movie was centered around football and real-life sportscasters had roles in it, and since my name is so alarmingly similar to the Waterboy's, I've taken my share of ribbing.
I was never a waterboy, although I did have something of a domineering mother. I was not home-schooled, but I did live through 12 years of Catholic school. I suppose my temper got the best of me a few times, but stop already with the similarities!
Anyhow, this person who has established a huge presence in my life rented the movie or saw it on cable this weekend, and my day started with Bobby Boucher references. All kidding aside, I enjoy the ribbing. I take it as a compliment. People who aren't comfortable with you won't mess with you or use you as a foil for the amusement of others. It makes me the center of attention, and the old ego doesn't mind that every once in a while.
Plus, I'm grateful for one thing: The Waterboy trumps Bob Newhart's show. For the record, I have no idea where my other brother Darrell is.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: