Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Only the Finest Meats and Cheeses

What a difference a day makes. Less than 24 hours after my daughter was earning a paycheck as a singer, she found herself hawking cold cuts at a local supermarket.
Let’s not sell this thing short. She’s proffering samples of Boar’s Head, the finest meats and cheeses. It’s a temporary job, I think about a week.
She and several of her friends are doing this together, and for some reason I find it (well, I shouldn’t say it but this is the expression I’ve been using, so here it is…) pee-in-your-pants funny.
It’s all the more amusing for me because she made a point of telling me not to take any pictures. I don’t remember the quote exactly, so allow me to paraphrase:
“Dad, don’t even think about bringing your camera. If you do, I swear I will break it.” I’m guessing the apron and cap have something to do with her demand.
I honored her request.
So, imagine my delight when these images appeared in my inbox! I have them and I’m not responsible for them. I never agreed not to write about it. So, at the risk of incurring her wrath, here we are: Boar’s Head Girl!
She’s doing more than pushing smoked turkey to the grocery store masses. She is also face painting. Why you would take a break from the Tex-Mex aisle to get a soccer ball or rainbow painted on your cheek, I don’t know; but she’s obviously getting some traffic.
Given the enhanced skill level required to perform these functions, the pay is better than you might think.
All kidding aside, I commend her for accepting work. She was getting a little restless and bored, plus the family budget certainly benefits from her having a little walking around money.
All of this comes together nicely. If she ever decides to sing for her supper, we have an inside track on top-notch, fresh sandwich ingredients.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: