Sunday, February 04, 2007

Foster Gets Mainstream Media

As noted here a few days ago, my old buddy Dave Foster has a new anchoring job in Nashville. Here's how the Nashville newspaper reported on it Friday:
Please note the other Shreveport connection here. News Director Ken Smith is a former KTBS producer.

Friday, 02/02/07
Foster named Ch. 17 sports anchor
By MIKE ORGAN
Staff Writer (Nashville Tennesseean)

Dave Foster returned to his hometown a little more than a year ago and is now set to return to the air as the weekend sports anchor at WZTV-17.
Foster grew up in Nashville, then moved with his family to Franklin, where he had attended high school. After spending more than 10 years as a sports broadcaster at two different stations in Shreveport, La., Foster returned to Nashville in December 2005 as the assignment manager at WZTV.

When Amy Fadool submitted her resignation as the Fox affiliate's weekend sports anchor in the fall, Foster decided to explore the possibility of moving back into sports.
"I had been wanting to come back to Nashville for a while; I wanted to get back toward my family," Foster said. "And then this job opened up, so I threw my hat in. I had some experience and loved the sports around here. I grew up watching all the teams around here as a kid so I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be exciting."
After playing football at Franklin, Foster graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1993 with a broadcasting degree.
A new market
Along with wanting to be reunited with his family, Foster said he started getting the itch to return home when Nashville began landing pro franchises — first the Titans and then the Predators.
"I went off to Louisiana around 1994, and for the sports market there's been a huge difference since I've been gone," Foster said. "I am looking forward to working with the pro teams, but I also still enjoy the local colleges and high schools. I went to the University of Tennessee, so I am a big SEC fan."
WZTV news editor Ken Smith said it always is a benefit when a station is able to hire talent with local ties.
"He comes in, and unlike most people he already knows so much about the area," Smith said. "He knows who the coach at MTSU is; he went to the University of Tennessee, it's a big plus for us."

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: