Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Burnt Orange Bandwagon

I have a buddy who attended the University of Texas. He went to the Rose Bowl this year, and obviously had a spectacular time as he watched his football team win the national championship. An amazing thing happened for him, too. The day after the Longhorns won, a photo was published in the Dallas Morning News of this guy high-fiving a Texas player. He was in the stands, leaning over as the players made their way into the tunnel. It’s clearly and unmistakably him. He ordered a giant enlargement of the photo from the newspaper, and has it matted and framed with his tickets. This one-of-a-kind piece of memorabilia is now prominently hanging in home, as you would expect. His office is preposterously decorated in an assault of orange. He’s still celebrating and most people acknowledge that, while it might be verging on innocuously obnoxious, he can pull it off for a while longer.
Conversely, a member of my family who has no ties to the University of Texas is wearing Longhorns gear and decorating his car with window stickers. I’ll say this for him: he was doing this before the National Championship. Considering the fact that he went to SMU, this fascination with the Steers and his proclivity for wearing burnt orange scream “bandwagon!” I’ve stayed silent about this until now, but circumstances force me to weigh in.
I admit that I’ve worn some LSU National Championship gear around town. Seeing this guy in his Texas regalia has given me pause. After all, I didn’t attend LSU in Baton Rouge. My diploma says “Louisiana State University” on it, but there’s a little “Shreveport” under there, too. However, I have attended plenty of LSU games over the years. I’ve been to a half-dozen or so LSU bowl games. Yes, I was at the Sugar Bowl when they won the national title. I think I can legitimately sport a little purple and gold and hold my head up high. This guy I’m talking about, I’m pretty sure he’s never actually been to a Texas game.
I’m really glad he has something to cheer about. He chose a team and he’s sticking by them. A member of his immediate family lives in Austin and he spends a significant amount of time there. So, it makes a little sense. Still, let’s remember he went to SMU. Whatever happened to “be true to your school?” If you’re not a big fan, that’s okay, but why adopt another school in your state? This would be easier to understand if he paraded around Austin in his burnt orange hoodie. Why would he slip it on in north Louisiana? He would never admit it, but he’s being an agitator.
This reminds me of two young women I know who were roommates when LSU beat Oklahoma for the BCS championship. One was an LSU graduate. The other graduated from Texas. It was fun to drive by their house and see the Tiger and Longhorn flags flying side-by-side. They both have moved to other states but remain close friends. They are happy for one another as they celebrate national championships just two years apart. These are people who can wear their colors without reservation.
I have a cap from the 2006 Rose Bowl which celebrates Texas’ national title. My buddy from the Dallas Morning News photo bought it for me in Pasadena. I feel funny about wearing it, though, because I’m much more closely aligned with LSU. I thought for a minute about passing it on to my family’s new Mister Texas, but I don’t want to contribute to his distressing behavior pattern. I’m more inclined to snap a photo and send it to the SMU Alumni Association.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: