Friday, April 07, 2006

The Responsibility of Being "Part of the Team"

I’ve never been a “team announcer” before. All the years I spent in broadcasting, I was ethically bound to make a stab at objectivity. That’s because a news organization always was my primary source of income, and that’s what news professionals are expected to do. Sure, I got off the straight and narrow path with some regularity as I did a talk show on the side. Even in that context, though, I knew there were limits.
I’ve discovered in the months since I left journalism that people in general are less guarded around me. It’s amazing how much information you can get out of people when getting information isn’t your job. When people know that you won’t take what they say and pass it along in a publication or on radio, television, or the internet, they’re just more forthcoming.
I’m telling you right now, I know some things that several reporters would fall all over themselves to know. One of the most eye-opening realizations for me, once I left the news business, was how much closely-guarded information I was missing. I realized all along, of course, that anyone who speaks to the media has an agenda. Still, my own naiveté, realized in retrospect, surprises me.
All that being said; I’m astonished at the level of access to certain knowledge that comes with being “part of the team.” As I prepared for my first game at the Bossier-Shreveport BattleWings’ play-by-play man, I knew about roster moves before almost anyone. In my background, coaches speak to you only at pre-appointed times and hand out information in tiny, discerning pieces. To have the playbook, the chalk talk, and the personnel moves enthusiastically revealed to me has been quite a change.
When I left the media, I was a little worried that I would miss being “in the know.” Obviously, my apprehension was ill-placed. In fact, quite the opposite has happened. In matters that are of interest to me, I actually know a lot more now than I did before.
I think now my limited endeavors in the media are more fulfilling than when I pursued broadcasting full-time. I get just enough opportunity on the radio to soothe my broadcasting soul, and it comes without the preposterous level of responsibility that was attached to what I had been doing. In other words, I’m just doing the fun stuff now. What’s wrong with that? Plus, people trust me and tell me things.
A little pressure is starting to build, though. I’m making last minute preparations for my first Arena Football play-by-play performance, and I want to be good. I know it’s not the NFL and a good Texas high school team will have a larger listening audience. Even though I’m not a full-time broadcaster anymore, I feel a responsibility to the team that showed enough faith in me to give me a chance.
After all, being part of the team has its perks. I hope I earn them.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: