Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jed, Jethro and the Great Sleep Caper

Several years ago, my son decided for whatever reason that he did not like his bed. So, over my strenuous objections, his mother indulged his whine and pleas party by buying a futon for him.
This decision will one day have a display case in the “Things Darrell Doesn’t Understand” Hall of Fame.
Stubborn as always, he’s been sleeping on that futon ever since.
Shockingly, he began recently to complain that he hasn’t been sleeping well in the Fabulous Bachelor Pad. Well, let me tell you something: Daddy isn’t buying him a new bed.
It has dawned on me that I may have been manipulated. See, my wife went to the furniture store and bought a new mattress for us and gave him our old one. Then, she went into the attic and dug out the headboard, footboard and slats from her old apartment bed.



As much as all this made me cross my eyes, I have to admit it led to some moments of hilarity. My son borrowed his grandfather’s truck and rounded up one of his friends to rearrange all of his sleeping accommodations.
The futon had to go to storage, because by God we will not give it away or throw it away.
Guys in Grateful dead tie-dye tee shirts may not be the most skillful movers, so there was concern that their cargo wasn’t particularly secure.



I suggested that his friend ride in the back of the truck on top of the mattress to make sure it doesn’t bounce out in transit. They looked at me like I was crazy. I said, “Well, that’s what I would do.”
Well, whaddaya know? They listened to me, even though I was asked if I’m sure it’s legal.
I’m not certain, but on a beautiful springtime evening, it surely looked comfortable.



To their credit, they easily laughed at themselves, the bed was successfully delivered and assembled. Better yet, nobody and nothing fell off the truck.
Maybe now, without having to dodge bumps and rough spots in the well-worn futon, a guy can get a good night’s sleep.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: