Saturday, September 29, 2007

Normal in New Orleans

(New Orleans)- I am in the Big Easy for the first time since Hurricane Katrina struck, and I wasn't sure what to expect. While I know that many parts of this city remain in ruins, everything I saw today looked remarkably normal. I came to town for a football game, of course. LSU struggled in the first half before defeating Tulane 34-9.
I took advantage of the trip to do something typically touristy: I had breakfast at Cafe Du Monde. I walked from the dome to the French Quarter and back. Everything you would expect to see in New Orleans seemed intact, right down to street musicians and sidewalk artists. There was even the occasional whiff of urine, vomit and horse manure, a part of the Bourbon Street experience.
There are still some unspeakable memories from the Superdome, but there was no hint of them during the game.
I was at a football game. So, of course I had to take the opportunity for the required goofy fan photo with a mascot.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: